Monday, March 03, 2003

I've been so busy between both jobs and class this semester, that I've fallen behind. So next week's spring break is perfectly timed. The intent is to use the time to work on my trial-level brief. Hopefully, I'll be able to accomplish that. But I'm digressing from the point I wanted to make.

Falling behind means that I sit in every Contracts class, dreading being called on. Now, I think I have some level of security here, because my last name is so difficult to pronounce, and Professor Contracts is quite the formal one - Miss Johnson, Mr Smith, not Jenny and Bill, like Professor Sex, uh, Torts. Every time I've volunteered in class it's been "yes? (while pointing to me)","in the back", or something similar. Never by my name. Then there's been the near misses - Tim on my left got tapped last week, Beth on my right got it tonight, and Michelle and Bridget in front of me have both been called on. But not me.Yet.

I think being called on when unprepared is the biggest fear of any law student. Most of my classmates will probably tell you that it's their biggest fear, followed closely by looking foolish. I know there's been times when people haven't been prepared and gotten called on - they stammer, and usually get bailed out by one of the Springbutt Bingo stars - the five or six people who dominate class by constantly raising their hand and getting called on. But last Thursday was a first. Someone actually took a pass. I figured it would be me and my big mouth who'd be the first to pass, but it was this girl near the front, who I've never heard speak in any class. I think it took Professor Contracts by surprise - but she recovered quickly. And guess who got called on tonight? This time, she was prepared. I think. I'm not sure since her voice was so soft, I could barely hear her. Which is a problem in class. I sit in the back, near one of the few outlets in the room (since I have a laptop, which at this moment is living up to its name), and most of the soft-voiced people sit in front, facing away from me. So when they speak, it's like listening to Charlie Brown's teacher - wah, wah, wahwah wah. Or in some cases, blah blah blah blah.......

The next three days are going to be interesting. The Legal Writing Paper tomorrow (I think my instructor saw it, at least - I got an email from her today, though not about the paper), then Curriculum planning on Wednesday, followed by the Contracts mid-term on Thursday, followed by full collapse on Friday. I'm no way prepared for this mid-term; I'm too far behind. One other frustration is that I haven't been able to attend any review sessions - they've all been on Saturday, when I have to work. So I have absolutely no idea what to expect.

On a side note, we have 3 Chicago cops in class. I wanted to ask them what they thought of what happened today, but didn't get to. It seems two 14th district cops stopped a guy for speeding, then arrested them when they learned he didn't have a license and shouldn't be driving in the first place. Somehow, they were outside the car when the perp pulled a Houdini; he managed to get his hands from behind his back, climb into the front seat, and drive off. They recovered the car about a mile later, but he was long gone - and still handcuffed. Methinks the officers have a lot of questions to answer...

Oh well, day 2 of close tomorrow. More fun at work....

No comments: