Monday, June 23, 2003

Interlaken

Put on my blue suede shoes, and I boarded the plane
Touched down in the land of the delta blues, in the middle of the pouring rain

Marc Cohn, Walking in Memphis



Ok, I'm on a clock here (no free Internet access), so I'll be brief, and flesh it out later.

Interlaken? Wonderful. Switzerland? Mere words cannot tell you how beautiful and clean this country is. It is definitely #1 on the 'return to' list.

So what have I done here? Well, let's see.

Yesterday morning began with rock climbing. I'm afraid of heights, so it was a true accomplishment for me to climb up 60 feet, turn around and wave. Then, in the afternoon (because I haven't done enough for one day), we went whitewater rafting. Today, I merely went to a restaurant for lunch. Just because the restaurant was at the top of the Harder Kulm, 2,500 feet above Interlaken is a minor detail. We were quite proud that we annihlated the recommended time - 2 hours, 20 minutes - by 35 full minutes. Old, fat, out of shape me made it up pretty quickly.

Tonight's a barbeque. Then tomorrow we're off to Strasbourg. Oh, and the hostel? Very nice. It's called Balmers (look it up). Lots of pretty 22 year old girls, and dorky 22 year old guys. That aside, it's like everything else here - very clean. But much cheaper than a hotel.

Heard Marc Cohn's Walking in Memphis today. Haven't heard it in a while, but it made me think of being back in the US. I've been to Memphis, and liked it, so hearing the song was like a nostalgia trip.

Ok, that's it for now. I'll flesh it out later.....

No comments: