“So what do you want for your birthday?”
Ugh. THAT question again. The annual reminder that I’m getting older, and closer to retirement. Well, not that close.
Anyway, I hate that question, because the last thing I do is sit around and think of things that I want for my birthday. Oh, occasionally I drop hints, but often they get ignored. Or maybe my taste is just too expensive. I mean, is it too much to ask for a Ferrari for my birthday? After all, aren’t I special?
So this year, my mom asked “the question”, and I didn’t have an answer at the ready. Truth is, I’ve been off in mental la-la land and not paying attention to the calendar. That, of course, got a rude jolt last week. But overall, I really hadn’t gone through the mental list-making that I normally go through at this time of year, anticipating that inevitable question.
So, without further ado, (and two days beforehand) here’s my list:
- A new blender. Mine sucks, and I like to make frozen drinks – like mudslides.
- The Blues Brothers
- Dead Poets Society
- Batman Returns
- Lord of the Rings Trilogy
- Any Harry Potter movie (sorry, but I like them, even if you don’t)
- Blue Merle
- Electronica – I have Future Lounge, so something along those lines
- Dockers™, Haines, or similar pants – mine keep wearing out
- Suits – at least one or two more, say a black and a neutral
- Shirts – dress shirts, though friends who’ve seen my closets will ask “where will you put them?
- A new car – a Ferrari would be nice, but not practical. How ‘bout a Saab 9-5?
- A speaking role in Clint Eastwood’s movie – because all I’ve got now is a role as an extra, and since my grandfather served in WWII, it would be a nice tribute.
- A nice Bible. I’m not overly religious, but mine is old, tattered, and from when I was in junior high. I should have a nicer one at this point in my life.
- A hot girlfriend. Hey, it’s my list; make up your own if you don’t like it.
- A nice, new residence. Preferably in San Diego. See #10.
- A job.
So there it is. I doubt if I’ll get any of that in the next two days, but if you’d like to wish me a happy b-day, feel free. I’ll take what I can get.