Tuesday, February 25, 2003

Lately, it seems like I'm perenially behind. I was able to get a whopping three hours of study time this Sunday. What frustration.


I have two tax clients who live near each other. One had already made an appointment for me to pick up his materials on Sunday. The other called during the week and asked when I could come out. What an opportunity, right? Nope. Party II would not be home when I was to meet with Party I. So I had to come earlier - five hours earlier. Now, it takes me an hour to get there. Add in b.s. time, and an hour back, and I've torpedoed three hours. I was desperately hoping to avoid that Sunday. But, alas, 'twas not to be. And to make matters worse - Party II didn't even have all of his materials ready! I told him to mail them to me, I'm not making another trip. I drove back to the apartment in a crappy mood.

My regular job was at least a little less stresful this week - my boss has been out of town the last two days. Not that he bugs me or anything, but things lighten up when the bosses are gone. Always a nice atmosphere. Of course, it would have been nice if he'd told me, so I didn't schedule a meeting with a VP to discuss salary issues. As it was, I tried my best to slough my way through.....I think I did ok.

And class - ugh. Tomorrow is the MANDATORY public service convocation. It starts at 5. Unless God himself comes down and frees up a lane on the Eisenhower, there's not a chance in hell of me making it there in time. Next weeks even worse - a paper due on Tuesday in Legal Writing, the career planning seminar on Wednesday (another pre-class event that I'll be late for), and to top it off, a mid-term on Thursday in Contracts. I am in no way prepared for a mid-term. Professor Contracts mentioned we should have our outlines well underway. I had to stifle a laugh. Right. Well underway. On five hours a weekend. Sure, no problem.

The best part of last week was getting back the homework assignment, and reading the tutor's comments - "You're on your way to IRACing..." blah, blah, blah. Apparently she thinks (1) I actually take the time to brief a case (no) and (2) I actually care what she says (no). I don't have time to IRAC, or FIHR, or any other briefing method. I'm lucky I have time to read the case. Lately, I live in dread of being called on, and wonder what smart-ass remark will fly from my lips when I'm not prepared. Hopefully, I'll be in a good mood that day, and not a grouch.

Truthfully, the best part of last week was going out for drinks with Gretchen after class. It was nice, relaxing, intelligent conversation, and much better than the blind date I had the week before.

Ok, I'm off the soapbox now. I just needed to vent. Lately, life seems a lot about frustration.

Sunday night, I had dinner with my dad. Mom had surgery, so she didn't go. During dinner, my father tried to play devil's advocate, and suggest that I pursue the personal leave of absence route. I looked into it today. The only downside is that when I come back, location isn't guaranteed. And since we have a site clear across the state, I'm concerned that I could get screwed in the long run. I'll have to wait until next week. Part of that shindig next Wednesday deals with issues like this...

No comments: